In April Jim attended the Sea Grant sponsored workshop on Living Shorelines for Alabama and Mississippi. It was great seeing the push for individual and groups of homeowners to re-establish living shorelines, and moving away from Sea Walls. The science, various options and the legal issues were presented. Below you will find links to the .pdf of their presentations. It was great seeing Reef Balls highlighted in most of the presentations. The Big Question is, Do you need a breakwater, or just native plants? If you need a Breakwater, what are the advantages of Reef Balls over other structures.
- Permeability (water passing threw)
- ph can be adjusted for the ecosystem your wish to recruit
- 22 years history of success in over 60 countries
- no toxic or hazardous materials
- surface area, and habitat for fish, invertebrates and in the right salinity oysters
- weight ratio to strength
- stability, the design keeps in in place, and there are anchoring techniques available
- mimic natural reef systems and their ability to attenuate waves so that (beach) erosion is managed by natural like processes.
- * An organizational structure, designed to work with government, NGO’s, and volunteers
- many more.
As you plan your living shoreline, be sure to check with Reef Innovations, for ideas on the product, to see how you can be involved, or to purchase a turn key Living Shoreline.
Living Shorelines for Coastal Protection in Alabama and Mississippi- Agenda
|Vendor Fair and Coffee|
|Welcome, Objectives, and IntroductionsStatus of Living Shoreline Research: Where are we now?|
|Living Shoreline Success Stories: Project Showcase|
Meeting the Needs of Homeowners
|Lunch – Networking Vendor Fair|
|Liability Concerns for Contractors|
Permitting Living Shorelines
Homeowner Handbooks & Contractor Technical Bulletins
Next Steps Discussion Session
Below are some additional links that might be usefull in planning your living shoreline.
Living Shoreline Methodology Amy Baldwin Moss, Fl Department of Environmental Protection, Ecosystem Restoration Program